Avoncroft as a charity
Avoncroft Museum is an independent museum and a registered charity (no. 241644), it was established as a charitable organisation in 1964, after our first building was rescued. Most of the Museum’s projects are funded by generous donations, legacies and grants. It currently costs around £15,000 a month to ensure Avoncroft Museum opens to the public and remains an exciting venue for family days out and group visits, as well as a place for learning for hundreds of school children and students.
Without the generous support of individuals, businesses and grant-awarding bodies, as well as our visitors, volunteers and members, the Museum would not be able to carry out its work of rescue and restoration, preserving and conserving historic buildings for future generations.
How can you help?
- Volunteer your time and skills. Please visit the Volunteering page, our volunteers are the life blood of the Museum and their work is very much appreciated.
- Become an Annual or Life Member, you receive a range of benefits as well as regular updates on Avoncroft’s projects.
- Donate through our the Big Give page, any amount can make a difference!
- Donate books for us the sell on our shelves of selected second-hand books, in the Museum shop.
- Attend our fundraising events, which include quizzes and raffles. Help to run these events is always welcome too.
- Donate raffle items.
- Visit the Museum and bring your friends!
Our current priorities for fundraising to carry out essential conservation are:
- Restoration and essential re-painting work on the Toll House, costing £5,000. We have currently raised £2,500 towards this target through generous support from the Hawthorne Trust and the Ian Addison Foundation.
- Essential maintenance to the Mission Church including re-painting the exterior, maintenance to heating and wiring, costing £12,000. We have already raised £3,500 through the generous support of the Elmley Foundation and the Ian Addison Foundation.
- Phase 2 of recontructing the latest item in our collection, a traditional nailer’s cottage. We aim to raise £50,000 towards the interior decoration and landscaping of the grounds around the cottage.
Visit our New and ongoing projects page for more information about the work we are doing at the Museum and how the money we raise is being spent.
Avoncroft Museum is a registered charity, no. 241644.